Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Existance of Love!

Level
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 74
    Overall activity: 5.0%

The Existance of Love!

Now although this has nothing to do with computers really, I figure I would share my bit of philiosophy with the world. Now keep in mind, I had just been dumped by my girl the day before, and was feeling slightly deep in the emo/philosophy of loveless lives XD. Not that im emo or anything. Just had a bad day XD. I wrote this just on a spur, didnt really do any research for it, infact some of it may be slightly incomprehensable, because I was typing it up really fast. These are exactly my final opinions on the matter, but more of what I was feeling at the moment, so anyone having troubles may like this, others might not.

Feel free to criticize, and pick and poke at it. This is just one thought that I had and randomly typed up. I may post more later but this is just one I thought alot of people might be able to get insync with.

The Existance of Love

In my opinion, love is not a feeling at all. I think that love does not exist. Love can be compared to gravity. We know that there is gravity between two bodies A and B, such that gravity is directly proportional to the two masses and inversely proportional to the distance between them. Explaining Einstein's Theory of Relativity would take a very long time so I will make this as concise as possible. There is actually no such thing as a straight line in nature. Light bends not because of gravity but because it travels in a bent path--curved space-time. Imagine a car traveling at a curved path. It travels like so because of the curvature of the road and not because of any other force. Space-time is bent by a mass (just imagine the space-time around black holes or the space-time of any infinite curvature). By the way, Einstein eliminated gravity from his Theory of Relativity. Just as I intend to do with the emotion of love from the human mind.

Love does not exist. Why? We tend to “love” not because we are attracted to somebody else, but because when we get too close to somebody else, we tend to follow the curvature brought about by that somebody. In short, we are like the rays of light traveling from the Sun to the Earth. We need some time in order to reach the other person. That process, in common terms, is the “getting-to-know-you” process. Just imagine yourself as an electron and that somebody is the nucleus of an atom. There is a unique relationship between a certain electron and the nucleus such that there will be no two electrons having exactly the same four quantum numbers. What am I talking about? I am showing that it is possible to be committed to only one person--our very special significant other.

If I were to say something along the lines of “I am so in love even though love does not exist.”, you might think im being redundant. But im not. How can this be? We use the word love to show that we follow the Laws of Physics. That is, we follow the natural processes of life. We live life and then die. Who would want to die without leaving any legacy behind them? No one. Love was created to be every human’s legacy.

Love does not exist in the sense that only the word love exists, as most people think, and that the word love does not always pertain to love (because keep in mind, there is no such thing as love). The word love does not pertain to a specific thing, but rather to a variety of things that are completely harmonic with each other, things that can not be fully understood by the human mind, things unimaginable and too incredible to be comprehended.

Some people might say “I am so in love!” But remember, love does not exist. There is a fine line between the word love and the thing love that many people believe exists. As far as the people that claim they are in love because they “know it” and they “feel it”, there is only one word to describe this feeling, infatuation.

Definition : Love - To have a great affection or liking for; a strong positive emotion of regard and affection; used as a term of endearment. This is the standard definition of the literal word love. Definition: Infatuation - Foolish and usually extravagant passion for; and extreme admiration; an object of extravagant and sometimes short-lived passion; used as a term of endearment. And although they are basically the same, most people will argue that love is an emotion, but then wouldn’t infatuation have to be considered an emotion if they are in fact the same? Definition: Lemerence - Lemerence is a state of mind sometimes referred to as "being in love" and sometimes called an infatuation; used as a term of endearment. Wow, that seems oddly familiar. Most people have never heard of the word Lemerence, and if they knew exactly what it meant, would they consider it an emotion along with love and infatuation. Although they have the same denotation, most people wouldn’t consider them all to be the same thing.

So, love, can it be proven? No. Can it be disproved? Yes. I have been able to scientifically prove that just because the word love exists the feeling doesn’t. Love does not exist, therefore, people cannot do foolish things in the name of it.

So Post your philosophies on the different aspects of culture, or life in general. Please, no idiots?

I was bored, and mopey at the time lol. So dont think im going all emo on you guys or nothing, because im anything but, theres a large difference between the people that dress in black, just to fit in, and people who ACTUALLY have indepth thoughts on different aspects of life.

*SIDE NOTE* on emos: Whats up with everyone wanting to fit in? Why does humanity want everyone to like them?

Ripped black Jeans: $21.50

Torn black Hoody: $18.00

Gothic metal CD: $12.00

Box'o'RazorBlades: $4.50

Becoming a non-conformist to fit in with the rest of society: Priceless.

~iDork

TEH BANT
    Level
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 422

Re: The Existance of Love!

"Now keep in mind, I had just been dumped by my girl the day before, "

In thread: http://www.1337.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25610 You said this,

"Im into computers, hacking, networking, gaming, music, women, <---Well mine anways"

Did she take you back or did you find another women?

Level
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 74

Quote Originally Posted by XoReD View Post
    "Now keep in mind, I had just been dumped by my girl the day before, "

In thread: http://www.1337.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25610 You said this,

"Im into computers, hacking, networking, gaming, music, women, <---Well mine anways"

Did she take you back or did you find another women?
    She took me back, because im a little bitch. XD Well, actually we just took a few months off, I wrote this a while back, I think, back in October. We got back together just after Christmas.

~iDork

(ノ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)ノ ︵ ┻━┻ Awards:
    Posting Award
    Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 40.0%

Like...from now on, can you post a summary at the end of every one of your threads?
    I'm not here to read books, kthx.
    REMOVEKEBABS
    [All] [NIGHT♫ ♪] [ˆˆlooongˆˆ] [♥TB♥]

70741 1337|\|355 Inactive Cargo's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 154
    Overall activity: 0%

TL;DR
    Support the IC4MP Campaign!

COPYPASTA ME IN TO YOUR SIGNATURE.

Quote Originally Posted by Waig View Post
    In fact, I encourage everyone to +rep Inactive Cargo for this post. It was of a 5-star quality and I would print it off, burn it to ashes, and rub them all over my body prior to cremating myself just so that the infinite wisdom contained in these words could forever accompany my ashes to the afterlife.

Level
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 118

Garhahahaaha. Thats probably the best explanation of someones theories of the word/feeling love that Ive ever heard.

TEH BANT
    Level
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 660

Philosophers have been trying to discern love for a very long time.

Your theory is interesting, but It's not quite ironclad enough for me. Love can be unrequited. The other person does not necessarily have to "be in love" with you for you to "be in love" with them. I think there are many many more factors that influence love, not just simply "You are meant to love me and so you do". It doesn't work like that.

Your environment can deffer love as well.

As for the word love, it's merely a word association. We as a culture associate the word love with the feeling we as an individual emotionally attach to it. I can no more explain love to you then I could explain happiness, sadness, or feeling alone or feeling x.

They are all feelings, feelings that we from time to time attempt to put into words so that other people may understand what it's like to feel that same emotion.

Level
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 553
    Overall activity: 31.0%

WHAT IS LOVE?

(ノ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)ノ ︵ ┻━┻ Awards:
    Posting Award
    Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0

IS LOVE?
    REMOVEKEBABS
    [All] [NIGHT♫ ♪] [ˆˆlooongˆˆ] [♥TB♥]

TEH BANT
    Level

INFRACT

Shins

Disproving love is like disproving God; if you don't feel the presence of it, and you can find a good enough dissenting argument, it's a simple matter to convince yourself that it does not exist. But if, on the other hand, you ever do feel that presence, no logical debate, dissection, or discourse will be able to throw you off the simple intrinsic fact of this thing's existence.

It's one of the few reasons that I try not to be too callous and obtuse toward those with religious leanings; I haven't felt what they think or know they have felt in relation to God. I didn't believe in love until I'd felt it. I came up with similar theories to this one of yours and I came to find that it was so much angst-ridden bullshit spewing from my mouth.

Of course, just as I didn't prescribe to the ideal of love until I had personally felt it, so I will not preach the gospel until I have held council with some manner of divine presence.

In summation, your words are intriguing, but at the end of the day, they are still simply words.

Level
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 809

Quote Originally Posted by iDork View Post
    So, love, can it be proven? No. Can it be disproved? Yes. I have been able to scientifically prove that just because the word love exists the feeling doesn’t. Love does not exist, therefore, people cannot do foolish things in the name of it.
    You must be some new kind of idiot that I've never encountered before. What have you scientifically proven? Nothing. You've used a bunch of semantics and theories and ideas that seem to make logical sense but have no actual proof behind them.

Can't feel love my ass. Love is the cause of a genetic endorphin released in the brain.

Fact: Eating chocolate releases endorphins.

Fact: Holding hands with somebody releases endorphins.

Fact: The two actions release the SAME endorphins.

These things have all been scientifically proven, unlike you're little semantic rant about the laws of physics.

All emotions are the cause of chemcials that get released in the brain. Now you're gonna try and tell me that "love" is nothing? When all your "evidence" comes from Physics and not from Biology? Good game, mate, you just made a comparison about why love doesn't exist to a field of science that it has nothing to do with.
    It's not your fault, keep your head down.

god-____ing-dammit piggy EmeraldFalcon89's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 1,472
    Overall activity: 99.5%

Quote Originally Posted by Hacky View Post
    You must be some new kind of idiot that I've never encountered before. What have you scientifically proven? Nothing. You've used a bunch of semantics and theories and ideas that seem to make logical sense but have no actual proof behind them.

Can't feel love my ass. Love is the cause of a genetic endorphin released in the brain.

Fact: Eating chocolate releases endorphins.

Fact: Holding hands with somebody releases endorphins.

Fact: The two actions release the SAME endorphins.

These things have all been scientifically proven, unlike you're little semantic rant about the laws of physics.

All emotions are the cause of chemcials that get released in the brain. Now you're gonna try and tell me that "love" is nothing? When all your "evidence" comes from Physics and not from Biology? Good game, mate, you just made a comparison about why love doesn't exist to a field of science that it has nothing to do with.
    Hacky is precisely correct, and I was about to say the same thing. Beware the pseudo-intelligence of those ideas, they aren't smart, they're ridiculous. It's the same reason the Vulcans in Star Trek are an impossibility. Endorphins have a positive effect on your health, your endorphin releases are caused by happiness. Ipso facto, happiness has a positive effect on your life.

You could condense all the emotions in the world into a few biological releases calculated by your brain, but it's pointless, and you have to use a neverending explanation as to why you're making it more difficult on yourself. It's like telling people you have "a car," when they ask you what kind of automobile you have. It gets the general idea, but it accomplishes nothing in the real world. What you're saying is essentially true, but it accomplishes nothing and makes no real point. You could go through life feeling basic attraction, and the need to fulfill tasks to gain the object of attraction; but there comes a point in most people's lives when it's not about that anymore. What is about? That's what everyone needs to figure out, when you figure that out, you've found your definition of love.

TEH BANT
    Level

Endorphins do not generate love.

They generate a positive mood.

True, love may be a positive mood, but it's not the only positive mood.

Level

Quote Originally Posted by Slevin57 View Post
    Endorphins do not generate love.

They generate a positive mood.

True, love may be a positive mood, but it's not the only positive mood.
    Read my post.

I say nothing about Endorphins causing love. I said chemcials. I only used the word Endorphins in relation to chocolate, and holding hands.

Nice try, but no.

TEH BANT
    Level

Quote Originally Posted by Hacky View Post
    Read my post.

I say nothing about Endorphins causing love. I said chemcials. I only used the word Endorphins in relation to chocolate, and holding hands.

Nice try, but no.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hacky
    Love is the cause of a genetic endorphin released in the brain.

Level

Ah, I misused a word. Once.

Why do you post? You added nothing to the topic, twice.

TEH BANT
    Level

Well nothing is better then being wrong.

god-____ing-dammit piggy EmeraldFalcon89's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 1,472
    Overall activity: 99.5%

This idea is much like saying, "Pain does not exist, it's a farce, a warning signal to the brain." Yet when you touch a red-hot piece of metal, you'll pay attention to that warning signal.

Level
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 644

Hmm, this has got me thinking. Are we just debating the differences between the meaning of "Love" and "Pain" to that of the biological counterpart? i.e. Chemical release in the brain and nervous system signalling, also to the brain?

They both exist, I just think we need to remember exactly what "Love" and "Pain" really is, just reactions from another reaction from another reaction and so forth. You can define "Love" and "Pain" as much as you want, but it's true origin isn't because of what you're thinking.

"Pain" can be categorised, as there is different types of pain, aching, stabbing, sharp or whatever. "Love", however is quite different, how do you distinguish "Love" from "Happiness"? From what I see, they're both quite the same, but they are defined from the cause of the emotion itself, if extreme happiness (what I imagine to be a large chemical release in the brain) is caused by someone that you could class as "Love", is it really what we call it, or is "Love" just a sub-category of "Happiness"?

Whatever it is, there is no perfect match, although you may consider there to be one, it is possible for me right now to physically pick up my phone to what could potentially be "my lifelong partner" and tell her it's finished, because I can, and so can anyone else in the world. Unlike your example of electrons and nuclei, we as humans have the luxury of choice, which eliminates the theory of your perfect match.

I could write more on this, but I feel like I've just been hit by the tiredness train - Choo choo motherfucker.